I haven’t been using Windows for too long that I really couldn’t retreive the admin password back to the brain. Since I have a dual boot system (Lubuntu & Win7 Ultimate), I thought I had to wipe everything and redo the whole setup again, but fortunately Linux system can actually be preserved. We only need to redo the Windows setup and reset Linux grub.
- Insert Windows Installtion disk
- Format the partition that is labelled Primary
- Install Windows on the Primary partition
After clean installing Windows, grub is gone from the startup and jump straight into Win7 system. To restore the option for choosing OS, we need to get the grub back.
Recover grub (Lubuntu 14.04)
- Insert Linux disk / usb and select the option “Try without installing Lubuntu”
- Alt + Shift + T to open terminal
sudo fdisk -lto display a list of partitions on the hard drive
sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mntwhere X is the number labeled with Linux
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdato install grub
*Note: if you get an error that say “Can’t find /dev/sdaX in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab” from Step 4, you should double check to make sure that there are no whitespaces missing from the command.