Here’s a little step-by-step procedure on how you can add new language keyboard on ubuntu 12.04:
- Go to System Setting and click on Language Support
- Change the “Keyboard input method system” parameter to “ibus“. Then hit “Install / Remove Languages…“
- A new screen labelled “Installed Languages” will show up. Check all the languages that you wish to add.
- You may or may not need to restart your computer after step 3.
- Type in “ibus” in “Dash home“
- Go to “Input Method” tab and select your desired input keyboards
*Note to self: “Chewing” is like the New Phonic” in MS Windows
- Go back to the “General” tab and set “Show language panel:” parameter to Always
- Under Keyboard Shortcuts section:
- Enable or disable parameter: This is the keyboard shortcut setting on how you wish switch back to English or default keyboard. My personal preference is Ctrl+Shift_L
- Next input parameter: this is where you wish to switch between your added languages. Note: you cannot switch the keyboard back to default using this shortcut (must be the shortcut you defined above). Alt+Shift_L is my preference.
Hope this is somewhat helpful! Peace~